MetService keeps people informed, 24 hours a day, 365 days of the year. With a global reputation for using science and technology to help customers and the public navigate the impacts of the weather, MetService is recognised as a diverse and inclusive employer with our people contributing passionately to the core purpose of helping people stay safe and make informed decisions.
Our changing climate, increasing impacts from weather and changes in the way the public consume weather information means that way MetService engages in the future will continue to evolve.
We are currently looking for two qualified meteorologists to join our Aotearoa, New Zealand based forecasting team in Wellington or Auckland on a permanent full-time basis (38-40) hours per week on a rotating roster including weekends.
About the role
Our forecast rooms operate a revolving shift environment, to ensure 24/7 public weather services, and to support the commercial interests of energy, broadcasting and aviation markets spanning time zones around the world.
You will work across all operational forecasting (excluding lead and expert) ensuring meteorological information credibly represents MetService and its contractual requirements and obligations. You will oversee the production of forecast products and warnings where applicable, for Aviation, Public and Marine.
- Provide dualling, advice and training and on the job coaching for other meteorologists and trainees/interns
- Maintain effective working operational relationships with relevant counterparts in key partnership organisations and neighbouring NMSs
- Recommend, and as directed develop, improvements to operational practices and forecaster tools to maintain MetService's status as a world-class National Weather Service and commercial operator
- Provide weather advisory/consultancy briefings rostered to niche customers, to meet contractual obligations
- Observe recommended practices and standards as required by industry and defined in operational manuals to ensure quality and minimise liability for non-compliance and identify areas for improvement in operational manuals and processes, taking ownership of the implementation if requested by Manager
- You have a university degree in physics and/or mathematics and or geophysics.
- You have completed the (post-graduate) meteorological training course which meets or exceeds the requirements for WMO Meteorologist as described in WMO 1083
- Excellent knowledge and experience with Marine, Commercial and Aviation forecast disciplines.
- You are able and willing to work rotating shift work.
- You have a good level of writing and briefing skills.
- You will be able to provide support and guidance to less experienced meteorologists through training/coaching and mentoring.
- You have previous experience with diagnosing weather systems
- You have a good understanding of Aotearoa, New Zealand’s geography and orographic effects and climate
- Understanding of Consultancy Meteorology
- Willingness to learn new meteorological skills
Why join us?
We enjoy achieving, we appreciate creativity, and we recognise everyone’s unique skills and qualities. We encourage flexible working and believe in giving back to our communities through company volunteer days. This allows us to be passionate about what we do; and to deliver products and services that have positive outcomes for our commercial customers and the people of Aotearoa, New Zealand.
Please click ‘Apply Now’ to be considered for the role. Applicants for this position should have NZ residency or a valid NZ work visa.
Applications close: Tuesday, 7 February 2023
Salary range: NZD80,791 to NZD109,305
- 20 Jan 2023
- Work Type:
- Permanent - full time
- North Island
- Wellington or Auckland
- Science & Technology