Besides MetService being New Zealand’s National Meteorological Service, it’s a successful global weather company. MetService is a technology-based organisation employing about 300 staff and headquartered in Wellington, New Zealand.
New Zealand's meteorological challenges are unique. Our lovely island country is narrow and mountainous, situated approximately half-way between the Equator and the South Pole. A lot of the time, New Zealand's weather results from the passage of mid-latitude weather systems. The rugged terrain influences the atmospheric flow; there can be large west-east differences in rainfall, temperature, etc., over short distances; likewise, the hills hugely influence the winds. In the summer months, cyclones from the South Pacific tropics can pass close by. And in the winter, we occasionally experience polar outbreaks. As far as the weather is concerned, there is never a dull moment.
We have a great opportunity in our Forecast Research and Development team for someone enthusiastic about weather forecasting and statistical analysis, and/or satellite data science.
If you are excited about being involved in prototyping and testing state-of-the-art numerical weather modelling systems, participating in the advancement of statistical and machine learning methods, and the development of operational systems, then this might be you.
We’re seeking a Research Scientist having:
- An honours degree or above in mathematics or physics
- Experience with dynamical atmospheric modelling, preferably using WRF
- Knowledge of probabilistic statistical forecasting techniques and/or machine learning
- Familiarity with Linux, Amazon Web Services, high-performance computing; or, other experience with running operational forecasting systems
- Experience with processing and quality control of weather radar, lightning and other meteorological observation data
- Experience with climatological data sets including downscaling techniques and/or attribution of extreme weather events in the context of climate change
- The ability to communicate technical ideas to non-scientific audiences
The Forecast Research and Development team is a multi-national group of scientists. We all multi-task, supporting a range of activities from implementation of an idea in prototypes, to high-quality software development of operational applications, to agile support of customer requests and support of operations. We look forward to hearing from you!
Why join us? Aside from arguably the best views in Wellington from the top of the Botanic Garden, we enjoy achieving, we appreciate creativity and we recognise everyone’s unique skills and qualities. This allows us to be passionate about what we do; and to deliver products and services that have positive outcomes for our commercial customers and the people of New Zealand.
If this sounds like an opportunity for you, please click on the ‘apply now’ box, to complete an application.
Applications close Monday 22 July 2019
If you have any queries, contact recruitment at email@example.com
- 24 Jun 2019
- Work Type:
- Permanent - full time
- North Island